On Newtown Festival day – Sunday April 11th 2021 – Newtown’s main streets and several side streets are closed, buses are diverted, and a one-way system operates:
The April Road Closure Map 2021 listing all the affected streets including a written description of the road closure, and showing all the stages and free activities.
DURING – Sunday 11th April 2021:
To host the Newtown Festival the changes described below, and shown in the download, apply on from 5am – 9pm, and in Wilson St from 5am – 11.30pm
Road Closures and No Parking
No Parking always includes the property number listed here:
- Rintoul Street: from outside numbers 27 and 40 to Riddiford St (this closure means there are NO Buses on Rintoul St)
- Riddiford Street: from Mein St to Rhodes St
- Hall Street: from outside number 10 to Riddiford St
- Colombo Street: from outside number 9 to Rintoul St [ includes number 9 and in front of the Community Centre ]
- Emmett Street: All
- Green Street: All
- Wilson Street: from outside number 15 to Riddiford St [ includes the off-street public carpark ] Wilson St is closed until 11.30pm
- Constable Street: from Daniell St to Riddiford St
- Newtown Avenue: from outside number 21 to Riddiford St
- Normanby Street: from outside number 14 to Riddiford St
- Donald McLean Street: from outside number 29 to Riddiford St [ includes in front of the Chinese Baptist Church ]
- Ferguson Street: from outside number 15 to Donald McLean St [ includes in front of the Ione Vito Centre ]
- Arney Street: All
- Gordon Street: All
- Gordon Place: All
- Florence Street: All
One Way streets
For the Festival Bypass and Bus Diversion
- Daniell Street: becomes ONE WAY NORTH from Constable St to Mein St
- Owen Street: becomes ONE WAY SOUTH from Mein St to Constable St
Additional No Parking Zones
- Rintoul Street: outside number 29 east side only
- Mein Street: from Riddiford St to Daniell St both sides and from Daniell St to Owen St north side only
- Owen Street: outside number 17 east side only, outside number 35 east side only, outside number 51 east side only, [ = at the speed humps ]
- Mansfield Street: from Rhodes St to number 310 both sides
We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but for safety reasons, any parked vehicles in these CLOSED ROADS and NO PARKING ZONES will be ticketed by WCC and towed away with the costs charged to the owner.
To bypass the Festival road closure
- City bound buses run along the one way section of Daniell Street, then down Mein Street.
- From the city buses run up Mein Street then along the one way section of Owen Street. Those heading to the Zoo or to Russell Terrace cross Constable, go along Owen, then Lawrence, turning back down Daniell, then down Rhodes Street.
- Here in Rhodes Street , just behind the Main Stage, there are both an inbound and an outbound temporary Festival Bus Stop
- There are 7 temporary Festival Bus Stops – as shown in the downloadable Road Closure Map
- The ISLAND BAY BUS will run in Adelaide Rd
- The Rintoul St and Luxford St Bus Route is CLOSED
Residents Return Home Vehicle Pass
Locals who live in streets within the Fair who would like to arrange to be able to drive home earlier, before the road opens at 9pm, can contact us to arrange a Festival Vehicle Pass, and to receive closed road safety instructions and their access entrance details.
Resident’s vehicles will be escorted home from around 7.30pm and have to remain parked at home while the road is closed.
Thank you to the generous assistance of the Lion Foundation who have made a decade’s worth of Newtown Festival Road Closure possible.